Pauley Pavilion Lock-In plans night of fun for Bruins

The Second Annual Pauley Pavilion Lock-In begins at 9 p.m. today, with activities continuing until 2 a.m. Saturday. Participants will spend the night sleeping on the court.

By Jennifer Chyu

Home to 11 NCAA men’s basketball championship teams, the 1984 Summer Olympics, countless commencement ceremonies and celebrity-studded concerts, Pauley Pavilion is a historic landmark on UCLA’s campus.

Today, in the UCLA Rally Committee’s Second Annual Pauley Pavilion Lock-In, UCLA students will be given the chance to play basketball and even sleep on the same court that Jay-Z performed on earlier this year.

The Lock-In event takes place the night before the UCLA versus Washington State basketball game and replaces the usual campout for priority numbers to sit in The Den section of Pauley Pavilion.

Doors will open at 9 p.m., and the event will end at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday when the numbers are handed out.

“We’re turning (the campout) into a slumber party,” said Emma Stackpole, the Rally Committee’s Art Director and second-year neuroscience student.

Students who attend the free event will sleep on the court and will be able to participate in activities and bond with fellow Bruin fans, Stackpole said.

The Lock-In will feature a Bank of the West-sponsored four-on-four basketball tournament, a 3-point shot competition and a dunk hoop.

There will also be board games, contests and a raffle where prizes including an X-Box 360 and a secret major prize related to UCLA basketball will be given away.

Hoping to increase the 400 people who went to last year’s first-ever Pauley Pavilion Lock-In, Darrell Carter, Rally Committee’s Lock-In event chair, said, “It’s college, you stay up all the time anyways.”

The Lock-In this year has even more prizes and events than it did last year, and the Rally Committee is trying to instate Lock-In as a UCLA tradition, added Carter, a fifth-year political science student.

The Lock-In will also feature a donation box where all the proceeds will benefit the victims of the Haiti earthquake.

If the students are able to raise more than $500, BJ’s Restaurant will provide all those in attendance with a coupon for a free Pizookie.

“This is a way to get everyone rallied up (for the Washington game). … It’s an opportunity for the average UCLA student to play basketball and have fun on the legendary Pauley Pavilion court,” said Reina Amiling, a first-year microbiology, immunology, and molecular genetics student and Rally Committee member.

Jennifer Chyu