Letter to the Editor

Take advantage of alumni resources

I had the opportunity to read Sarah Mier’s article “Don’t let heavy decisions bring you down” that ran on Jan. 12, 2010, regarding the role of the Career Center, the Alumni Association and the Student Alumni Association in easing the transition for students from college life to their careers.

Sarah Mier’s article did try to mention some of the programs and counseling that are available for those who need it but painted the picture that the opportunities provided by the Career Center and SAA are too limited.

As a student, I completely agree that finding a career to match our academic interests can be difficult and quite stressful. But to say that the Career Center and SAA are not doing enough to facilitate meaningful links between students and alumni is ignorant.

As Mier puts it, the Career Center is only useful “if the student already knows what type of career” they want after college. However, this is not true, as the Career Center has a multitude of means with which uncertain students can find their way, from one-on-one counseling to career fairs throughout the year. I didn’t actually go to the Career Center until my second year, and I can honestly say that I am sorry it took me so long to check out what was being offered.

In addition to these wonderful methods of getting help with choosing a career, the Alumni Association and the Student Alumni Association also have a host of resources at the ready. There is a register available online at UCLAlumni.net/careernetwork, where over 8,000 alumni are ready to network and help out fellow Bruins. Another resource, the Alumni Mentor Program, partners an alumnus with a student to offer guidance in career matters as well as the daily stresses of the UCLA life.

SAA also offers several types of mixers where students can associate with alumni on a more personal level. Interview With a Bruin is a program where you are paired up with alumni from a field you may be possibly interested in and they work with you to hone your interview and resume skills. Dinner for 12 Strangers is an upcoming event where students can interact with alumni on a more intimate level, discussing career and networking options over dinner.

There are so many different ways to get help from the Career Center and the Alumni Association like the ones listed here, plus many that I haven’t even begun to mention. Mier’s article calls for the Career Center and alumni resources to “step in” and help distressed students. I think that the best way for them to do that is if we as students are more proactive and step in to their offices first and experience firsthand the wonderful resources that are being offered.

Anthony Laner

Second-year, English