An alternative moviegoing experience

By Rebecca Luce

Soda shops, jukeboxes, gas station attendants and drive-in theaters are all things of the past hearkening back to the days of the mom and pop store around the corner. So as we charge full-force into this new decade with our GPS and Blackberry in hand, downtown Los Angeles’ Devil’s Night Drive In is keeping a little slice of the past alive and well.

This monthly chance to get back is rarely, if ever, seen in Los Angeles. Devil’s Night Drive In is not only the sole drive-in in the Los Angeles area but also the only outdoor cinema to stay open through the winter months. In a sea of trendy bars with one-syllable names, Devil’s Night Drive In stands out as an opportunity to take a break from pounding eardrums and the latest Lady Gaga single.

The inception of Devil’s Night Drive In came about by chance. Owner and manager Morgan Higby Night said when he walked by a movie being played on the side of a building, he realized that though the idea was great, he could do it better. A former New Orleans club owner and current filmmaker, Night has created a makeshift drive-in that gives a hipster-approved alternative nighttime activity.

While watching the films from an inflatable screen with FM transmitters for receiving sound in cars, moviegoers are surrounded by an uncommon view of the L.A. skyline. Located on 4th Avenue and Broadway Street on the second-floor roof of the parking lot, Devil’s Night Drive In takes those on foot and on bikes in addition to the traditional car.

“At first I was a little wary of going to a random rooftop in downtown L.A., but it wasn’t at all what I expected,” said Rachel Sakamoto, a first-year world arts and cultures student, about her trip to see “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” “It’s this do-it-yourself drive-in where you can just go enjoy a movie in a really cool and retro way.”

Devil’s Night provides the classic drive-in theater experience with some updated accommodations.

As people enter, a DJ spins some tunes. And in true drive-in fashion, the Angel City Derby Girls carhop food and drinks while people set up camp in lawn chairs and blankets on the new-age Astroturf seating.

“The drive-in is an amazing American tradition that allows people to watch movies in a social setting,” said Stacy Wickham, former owner of Michigan’s Ford Sound drive-in. “It’s not just about the movie but the whole experience.”

Prior showings include films such as “The Big Lebowski” and “Pee-wee’s Big Adventure,” because Devil’s Night tends to show movies that weren’t big at the box office but have big fan followings.

On Saturday, Devil’s Night Drive In will show the cult classic movie “Donnie Darko.”

“We have a group of regulars, but really different people come for different films. … It’s pretty popular for students too, since it’s a good make-out spot,” said Christina Conway, a representative from Devil’s Night.

This 21st century take on the event brings in a varied crowd of young adults looking for the next hip thing to do, older people looking for the nostalgia of nights past, and everyone in between.

“I had never heard of any existing drive-ins, let alone been to one, so when I went to Devil’s Night, I felt like I was getting to experience a lost tradition,” said Alicia Murphy, a UC Davis student.

With the lack of any working drive-ins, many patrons come to the Devil’s Night Drive In with no idea of what to expect. The people behind Devil’s Night said they strive to make it a unique L.A. nightlife experience.

“The event is very indie. There is no pretense about it. Everyone is very sociable, and there is a definite family-friendly atmosphere. We’re hoping to be part of the rejuvenation of the downtown Los Angeles area,” Conway said.

Rebecca Luce