LAPD Bomb Squad responds to suspicious package near Strathmore tunnel

By Megan Beauchamp

At approximately 1 p.m., UCPD received a call about a suspicious package in Parking Structure 8.

The structure was closed from approximately 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. while the Los Angeles Police Department Bomb Squad determined the package was safe to remove.

Traffic control also closed a stretch of Strathmore Avenue, from Westwood Boulevard to Gayley Avenue, to pedestrian and vehicle traffic until the bomb squad determined the status of the package.

“We don’t take any chances with suspicious packages,” said Nancy Greenstein, UCPD spokeswoman.

The bomb squad was called because UCPD does not have the equipment necessary to investigate bomb threats.

“(UCLA General Services / Emergency Management) sent out an emergency outage notice, however the situation did not arise to the status of a BruinAlert, which is sent to 60,000 people, because of the brevity of the event,” said Jack Powazek, associate vice chancellor for General Services.

The package was located behind a trash can on the top level of the parking structure.

UCPD is currently investigating the case, however they do not know why the package was reported as suspicious or what the package contained at this time.

Megan Beauchamp