UCLA doctoral student Agustin Roberto Salcedo slain in Mexico

UCLA Ph.D. student

By Samantha Masunaga

Agustin Roberto “Bobby” Salcedo, a UCLA Ph.D. student and El Monte school board member, was killed last week in the Mexican state of Durango. He was 33.

While vacationing with his wife in her hometown, Salcedo was abducted by gunmen at a bar along with five other men. The men’s bodies were found near a canal on Dec. 31.

“This is a tremendous loss for our community in general,” said Nick Salerno, superintendent of the El Monte Union High School District, where Salcedo worked as an assistant principal for instruction. “He was extremely friendly. He had a huge heart and a great sense of humor.”

Based on his interest in promoting higher education, Salcedo enrolled in the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies to pursue a doctorate degree in education and leadership.

“(The educational leadership program) was designed for people like him who will have an impact on the world,” said Wellford “Buzz” Wilms, a professor in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies who agreed to support Salcedo’s dissertation.

Wilms added that Salcedo’s thoughtfulness and confidence made him stand out among other applicants to the program.

“I was very taken with him,” Wilms said. “He was a really wonderful combination of intelligence and gentleness.”

At the time of his death, Salcedo had just completed his coursework and only needed to finish his dissertation to receive his degree, said his brother, Carlos Salcedo.

With his passion for higher learning, Salcedo served as a guide for younger family members who were going through the college admissions process, said his cousin, Araceli Gonzalez, a UCLA alumna. She said Salcedo encouraged her to attend UCLA, despite her initial misgivings about leaving home.

Salcedo’s sister, Griselda Salcedo Jefferson, spoke of her brother’s devotion to his university, remembering the friendly rivalry between him and her daughter, who attended USC.

This observation was echoed by his cousin, Priscilla Gonzalez.

“Bobby is the epitome of a true Bruin,” said Priscilla Gonzalez, a fourth-year undergraduate student, adding that her cousin reveled in the UCLA-USC rivalry and would pull good-natured pranks on Trojan fans. “He definitely fought for UCLA.”

Salcedo was born in Los Angeles on March 21, 1976.

After graduating from Mountain View High School in El Monte, Salcedo attended California State University, Long Beach, receiving a history degree in 1998. He then received his master’s degree from California State University, San Bernardino.

Based on his interest in education, Salcedo held various teaching and administrative positions at El Monte high schools, one of which brought him back to his alma mater.

In addition, Salcedo also served as a political leader in El Monte by serving as a board member of the El Monte City School District.

During his time on the board, Salcedo advocated for scholarships and educational improvement, said Jeff Seymour, superintendent of the El Monte City School District.

Salcedo’s work in El Monte also extended beyond the school district, and he frequently volunteered in the community.

But in spite of his numerous responsibilities, Salcedo’s first priority was always family, said his brother, Juan Salcedo, adding that his brother always attended family birthday parties, no matter how much work he had to do.

Salcedo is survived by his wife Betzy, father Carlos, mother Graciela, sister Griselda and brothers Carlos, Juan and Tony.

A rosary will be held today at 7 p.m. at Nativity Church in El Monte and a funeral mass will be held Thursday at 10 a.m. at the church.

Samantha Masunaga