Freshman’s early exit leaves Holiday-like impact

Freshman midfielder Amobi Okugo signed with Major League Soccer Monday, as a part of the Generation adidas program. Okugo, who was named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year this season, will not return for his sophomore season with the Bruins.

By Blair Angulo

I told my editor that I was writing a column on Amobi Okugo and his response was, “Amobi?”

Exactly.

Okugo recently chose to sign with Major League Soccer, forgoing his final three years of collegiate eligibility. His decision to sign did not make the headlines that accompanied, say, Jrue Holiday when he declared for the NBA Draft last spring.

But Okugo’s choice has just as big an impact on the future of UCLA men’s soccer as Holiday’s early departure has had on the men’s basketball team.

Okugo, like Holiday, was a top-ranked recruit coming out of high school.

Okugo, like Holiday last season, was a freshman that played major minutes for a deep and experienced team that didn’t count on considerable contributions.

Okugo, like Holiday, started every game for his team, all 20 games, including the Bruins’ 2-0 quarterfinal loss at Wake Forest.

Needless to say, coach Jorge Salcedo loses a major building block. Mix in the departures of standout seniors Kyle Nakazawa, Brian Perk, Michael Stephens and David Estrada, and you have a recipe for what could be a rough 2010 season.

And you thought coach Ben Howland had it bad.

Holiday didn’t necessarily fill up the stat sheet during his short stay in Westwood, averaging just more than eight points in more than 27 minutes per game. With Darren Collison and Josh Shipp in the backcourt, Holiday wasn’t really needed offensively. Yet his absence on this year’s young and inexperienced team is noticeable if not completely obvious. Malcolm Lee and Michael Roll could use a Holiday or two.

Okugo’s case is similar.

As a defensive midfielder, he didn’t necessarily put up big numbers either ““ that’s what Nakazawa and Estrada were for.

Okugo failed to score despite ranking third on the team in minutes played. He only had two assists. A mere five of his 17 shots during the year were on goal.

The scary thing? Okugo was still named the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.

Okugo signed as a member of the Generation adidas program, which allows players to develop in the MLS.

Salcedo is no stranger to this ““ previous UCLA players with ties to Generation adidas include 2008 top pick Chance Myers, who left after his sophomore season, and Tony Beltran, who was selected third overall in the same draft.

Okugo’s exit paves the way for rising sophomores Chandler Hoffman, Ryan Hollingshead and Evan Raynr. The trio combined to make 28 starts and score 11 goals. Hoffman and Hollingshead were second and third, respectively, in goals scored this past season, while Raynr provided depth off the bench.

“We are very happy for Amobi,” Salcedo said in a press release earlier this week. “Becoming a professional soccer (player) was a lifelong dream of his, and we congratulate him on the honor. He had a very successful freshman year, and his contributions to this team will be missed.”

Salcedo can only hope that Okugo’s absence doesn’t mirror what the basketball team has had to endure without Holiday.

If you would leave school three years early, e-mail Angulo at [email protected].

Blair Angulo