Weekend Review: Straight No Chaser

By Maryia Krivoruchko

As a Bruin, I’ve been lucky enough to have seen several remarkable a cappella groups perform on campus and in Los Angeles, and Straight No Chaser was no exception.

I must admit that I had a few penchants going into the show ““ penchants for men in suits, good vocals, gummy bears and Christmas. Straight No Chaser gave me everything but the gummy bears with an added touch of class and humor.

The all-male a cappella group performed everything from hits such as Amy Winehouse’s “Rehab” to a cappella staples such as Weezer’s “Brown-Eyed Girl,” and most famously, Straight No Chaser’s holiday classics.

A highlight from the very beginning of the show was a medley of Jason Mraz’s “I’m Yours” and Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s “Over the Rainbow” ““ an excellent intro to an upbeat show. The latter half of the first act was devoted to holiday songs.

The second half of the show continued with a sitcom medley, and the group did a great job performing hits other than the Christmas songs that they are known for. The singers were refreshingly easygoing ““ when a whistle duet went awry, the members just laughed it off. The jokes were also tailored to the audience and didn’t feel too rehearsed, quite a feat for an a cappella concert.

All of the soloists were talented, but the solos were not divided equally. A few members, while charismatic and vocally powerful, were clearly getting to showcase their talent more than others. It was nice to hear from the highest first tenors to the lowest basses, however.

The show closed with an impressive version of “Carol of the Bells,” whose staccato notes and dynamics are a challenge to perform, followed by “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” ““ a joyous ending. One thing was missing however: the group’s best-known medley.

After a solid standing ovation, the group came out and performed the hit “The 12 Days of Christmas.” The medley is clever ““ the singers argue over which gift they are currently singing about, with various carols and the Dreidel song thrown in. Even the catchy “Africa” by Toto makes an appearance in the compilation. The only question remains ““ if the standing ovation didn’t happen, would the biggest hit have been missed? While it’s understandable that the group might want to break away from something that stereotypes it as a Christmas group, a classic should not be avoided. Thankfully, it wasn’t.

Overall, the men of Straight No Chaser proved that they have true talent and know how to put on a good show ““ one with humor, class, creativity and good-looking suits.

It would be great to see the group throw in a few more solos from the underrepresented members of the group and not shy away from their hits. But either way, I will gladly pop a few gummy bears in my mouth and listen to Straight No Chaser’s medleys until the wee hours of the morning.

E-mail Krivoruchko at [email protected].

Maryia Krivoruchko