UCLA women’s soccer sets to break its own records

Sydney Leroux dribbles the ball in UCLA’s 5-0 win over San Diego State Sunday at Drake Stadium. The sophomore forward tallied six goals on the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament and is tied for the most goals in the postseason so far.

By Rebecca Lee

Friday night, Sydney Leroux launched a shot into the back of the net to equalize the score 1-1 against Boise State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, notching her first goal in the tournament.

And then another goal, just two minutes later.

Leroux’s scoring streak did not stop there as the sophomore forward netted four goals in her NCAA Tournament debut, having missed the postseason last year while representing the United States in the Under-20 World Championships in Chile.

Leroux became just the fourth player in UCLA’s history to score four goals in a match and the second Bruin to do so in the tournament.

“Sydney is such an impact player for us, a very flashy player,” senior defender Dea Cook said. “She’s really fun to watch, especially me being in the back, just being able to kind of see our attacking line work so well together. All I can say is unbelievably impressive ““ her speed, and her skill, and just her drive to find the goal.”

Two days after the Bruins’ 7-1 smothering of Boise State, Leroux drilled in two more goals to help UCLA thrash San Diego State, 5-0, in the second round of the tournament.

Leroux is tied with Notre Dame’s Melissa Henderson for most goals in the postseason, both earning Top Drawer’s National Player of the Week award.

“I think that’s just amazing for her and motivational for the team in all,” freshman Zakiya Bywaters said. “If she can score six goals, then any one of us can score just as many, and just pumping us up for the games coming that we know Sydney’s our player to go to to get goals scored. And there’s already going to be other teams looking out for her, because she’s scored so many goals, but I’m just proud of her.”

From this weekend alone, Leroux’s 12 points on six goals in the tournament is approaching redshirt senior Kara Lang’s record for postseason scoring. Lang recorded 15 points in the 2005 tournament.

Another Bruin who has been enjoying tremendous recent success is senior forward Lauren Cheney, who registered three goals and three assists on the weekend. Already headlining UCLA’s record for game-winning goals, Cheney remains only two points from breaking Traci Arkenberg’s school record for scoring and goals. Cheney has 168 points on 69 goals and 30 assists thus far as a Bruin, and Arkenberg recorded 169 on 71 goals and 27 assists during her time in Westwood.

Together, the duo of Leroux and Cheney scored 43 percent of the team’s scoring on 85 of the team’s 195 points this season. Leroux leads the team with 44 points, and Cheney follows close behind with 41.

“They complement each other very well,” coach Jill Ellis said. “They’re both very technical players. They lead off each other very well. They offer something a little bit different, each of them, and that’s what makes them hard for opponents to really focus in on because one can get in behind, and one is good at posting up the ball.

“They’re just a hard tandem to deal with.”

Rebecca Lee