Staff readying for UC Regents

By Tessa McClellan

UCLA staff members have mobilized during the last month to prepare for the upcoming UC Board of Regents meeting, which will be held at UCLA on Nov. 17-19 in Covel Commons.

Though UCLA last hosted a regents meeting over a year ago, the university is accustomed to routine preparation efforts because it typically serves as a venue for one or two meetings annually, said David Miller, UCLA deputy assistant chancellor.

“We’re pleased to be doing this,” Miller said. “It’s wonderful for the regents to have an opportunity to see this campus that we’re all very proud of.”

A special events and protocol committee affiliated with external affairs coordinates the preparation efforts of departments such as transportation, parking, catering and safety and emergency services.

The regents provide all the funding for the services they require at the meeting, Miller said. He added that they have decided to scale back the size of the meeting to accommodate the current budget constraints.

“The difference between the meeting two years ago and now is dramatic,” he said.

Approximately 50 invited guests will attend the meeting, which is also open to the public. He added that students and staff who cannot physically attend can follow the proceedings through an audio cast on the regents’ Web site.

Tessa McClellan