Cross country seeks to continue improvement at NCAA West Regional Championships

By Chris Chen

For cross country coach Forest Braden, running under the radar is perfectly fine.

As both teams made significant improvements at the Pac-10 Championships ““ the men rebounded from a disheartening performance in Terre Haute, Ind. and the women from a last-place finish in 2008 to finish seventh ““ Braden finds no need to ease up on the accelerator.

And as little media recognition as the team has been given ““ the men finished just three points below the then-No. 13 Washington and received just five national poll votes ““ the team is all business going into the NCAA West Regional Championships Saturday in Eugene, Ore.

“We know that we’re not guaranteed a spot to nationals so we have to run at regionals to make sure we solidify our spot for nationals,” Braden said. “Everyone has been focusing for regionals all week and we’ll be ready.”

The men’s team goes as No. 7 in the region ahead of Pac-10 foes Washington State and California and behind the likes of Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State and Washington.

Climbing the rankings from 10th place in the region two weeks ago, the Bruins benefited from breakout performances from freshman Zack Torres and sophomore David McDonald.

McDonald, who had been the No. 9 runner on the team prior to Pac-10s, capitalized on an opportunity to solidify his spot on the team as he came through as the team’s fifth runner.

“I knew that the race outcome would rely on whether or not I really wanted the spot on the regional team or if I was just faking the desire,” McDonald said.

“The difference between Pac-10s and the previous meets was my personal attitude.”

McDonald certainly believes he can replicate his Pac-10 performance, and with this newfound determination, savvy and impulse should take care of the rest.

“I am going to trust my instincts in the race, take everything one step at a time and believe in myself and my teammates,” McDonald said. “I have trusted this routine for six years and it hasn’t failed me yet.”

The Bruins also hope for a breakout performance from redshirt sophomore Spencer Knight and freshman Mohamed Abdalla, who is just a second-time runner this season.

“We’re going to get (Abdalla) in there at regionals and I expect big things from him,” Braden said. “That’s the strength of our team. Either of those two guys could step up and be in that top five.”

While the parity remains on the men’s side, the women’s team has a sure team No. 1 in second-team all-conference performer Shannon Murakami. The junior has not relinquished her spot as the top runner for the Bruins and looks to lead the team this Saturday.

“Shannon has been rolling; she’s been on fire,” Braden said. “She’s head and shoulders above anywhere she’s ever been. She’s been running phenomenally, and I expect that to continue.”

Redshirt juniors Rosa Magana and Kelcie Weimann, as well as sophomores Sadee Martinez and Katja Goldring are all capable of filling in the second slot.

“We will be at our best this weekend,” Braden said. “The athletes know that no matter what happens, they’ve got to be ready to run. It doesn’t matter if it’s snowing or hailing. We’re going to be ready to go.”

Chris Chen