Student groups collaborate to bring Jay-Z to Pauley Pavilion

By Emily Baraff

Rarely, if ever, has Pauley Pavilion seen the likes of an act as monumental as Jay-Z. With N.E.R.D., Wale and J. Cole on the bill as well, Pauley will be a hot spot for UCLA students this Sunday night.

The Jay-Z show, part of a nationwide tour to promote his new album, “The Blueprint 3,” will mark a significant turning point in the eyes of student art organizations on campus. For the first time, all three student art groups at UCLA have collaborated with concert promoter Live Nation to produce a show for UCLA students. The Campus Events Commission, Cultural Affairs Commission and Student Committee for the Arts were all approached by Live Nation for the promotion of the event.

“What is most important to me is that the three student groups worked together to produce this show,” said David Serna, co-director of SCA. “This year is really about co-promotions. Live Nation bridged the gaps between students and the professional world with this event. We definitely established a better relationship with CEC and CAC, which is important seeing as we are the three big cultural groups on campus.”

Marketing and promotion on the part of the three student groups involved fliering on Bruin Walk, social networking through Facebook and Twitter, implementing student discounts on tickets and managing ticket sales.

Evidently, communication is the key to success, seeing as the front row tickets sold out to students within two minutes of going on sale. In fact, 3,500 tickets were sold on the first day of student pre-sales at the Central Ticket Office. Considering it was the job of the three student groups to market the event to the student body, the show is already considered a huge success for the students who were imbued with the task.

“I suspect that the venue will be comprised of at least half UCLA students, if not as much as 80 percent,” CEC commissioner Joanne Lin said. “Jay-Z is a smart businessman, and he knows that his fan base is getting older. That’s part of the reason he wanted to do a college tour, so he could really reach out to his college fans. It’s a great opportunity for students, and Pauley is an excellent venue for a concert.”

The Blueprint 3 tour began on Sept. 8 at the Chicago House of Blues, quickly followed by a performance at his Answer the Call benefit concert at New York’s Madison Square Garden on Sept. 11.

Next afoot for Jay-Z was a U.K. appearance with Coldplay, a quick jaunt to the Video Music Awards in New York and a rendezvous with Jay Leno for the premiere of “The Jay Leno Show” in Los Angeles. After said engagements, the rapper embarked on his university-infused tour.

“Jay-Z is trying to attract the younger demographic and market himself to all college students, older fans and new,” CAC commissioner Abigail Faelnar said. “Pauley Pavilion is a landmark venue in L.A., and it hasn’t really been utilized for large-scale concerts. I think it’s great to see that student ticket sales were so high ““ it really shows how wide our programs have spread.”

A hip-hip icon in the Bruins’ midst, this sizeable blueprint has become a tangible reality.

Emily Baraff