Dance photography exhibition showcases world arts and cultures department

By Rei Estrada

It’s common knowledge that dance can be a pretty difficult task; it takes strength, balance, determination and focus to succeed. But one might not realize that the photography of dance is just as difficult, requiring the same kind of skill to catch the essence of the motions. Throughout November, CedarBough Saeji, a graduate student in world arts and cultures, will do just that with her exhibit, “Dance Photography 2008 & 2009.”

On display in Glorya Kaufman Hall, the academic center of the world arts and cultures department, the series of photographs depicts performers and dances from shows over the past year.

“I offer these images as a reminder of the amazing performative movements created by the people in world arts and cultures,” Saeji said.

Saeji has been involved with photography since the first grade, taking pictures with a camera given to her by her grandfather. She would later work as a freelance photographer from 2000 until 2007, doing mostly travel work as well as some commercial jobs. Despite her lack of formal training, her years of experience have garnered her valuable skills.

“It looks really simple, but it’s not that easy to capture motion,” said Allison Taka, a fourth-year sociology student and former student of Saeji.

Saeji’s interest in world arts and cultures grew from her passion for photography.

“Photography drove me to learn more about Korean performance, and learning more about Korean performance sent me to graduate school, so exhibiting my performance photography in the building where I attend classes feels just a tiny bit like coming full circle,” Saeji said.

In 2007,Saeji came to UCLA as a result of a search for a cultural performance program. For her, performance is one of the major ways that one studies cultures.

Her initial look into the anthropology department didn’t offer what she was looking for. Upon further investigation, she discovered the world arts and cultures department.

She began applying her photography experience to the many shows that the department puts on, using her photography skills to become more directly involved with the art of dance.

“They’re doing beautiful things. I got to be a part of the art-making,” Saeji said. “Usually I’m just watching.”

It was Saeji’s status as a student in the department that allowed her to get such intimate shots, and in some ways, the exhibit is her homage to the department. One of the major reasons for the exhibit is to allow all those involved with the performances to see evidence of their work.

“I think this is me allowing us to relive some of the beautiful art that was made here,” Saeji said.

Many other students and staff involved with the world arts and cultures program share a similar bond with the department.

“WAC connects me to other cultures outside my own,” said Angela Jordan, a graduate student whose choreography is featured in two of the photographs. “You get to learn new things and gain an appreciation and respect of other people and cultures. With technology, we’re becoming a really small world, and I find we’re more alike than we are different.”

Saeji values diversity and world cultures as well ““ ideas that come across in her studies and exhibit.

“How does one present culture? It’s always happening; it’s always art,” Saeji said.

Rei Estrada