Library funds approved

By Samantha Schaefer

Just one day after the reopening of Night Powell, the Undergraduate Students Association Council voted to allocate the remaining $25,000 needed to retain the service for the 2009-2010 academic year.

The council unanimously approved the allocation with a vote of 12-0-0. The money will be withdrawn from the USAC surplus fund as needed, and any unused funds will be returned by the end of the year.

Night Powell, which costs an estimated $125,000 to maintain, was recently reopened after the university secured a combined $100,000 from two outside donors. The additional funds from USAC will account for the remaining amount needed to keep Powell Library open overnight.

USAC President Cinthia Flores said that in her negotiations with Chancellor Gene Block, she made the executive decision for students to contribute 20 percent of the funds to reopen the study space, in conjunction with the matched donations.

“I’m pleased with the reinstitution. It’s a testament to the hard work and commitment by the council and something that is truly representative,” Flores said. “It was not on the administration’s agenda, but we reopened the conversation and put our money where our mouth is.”

Tonight, councilmembers will host a meet and greet with students living on the Hill to introduce the organization.

Flores said the gathering is the first in a series of events her office has planned in collaboration with the On-Campus Housing Council.

The goal behind the series is to increase transparency and communication between students and the council.

Tonight’s event will feature a short introduction of each councilmember, a panel discussion, and a larger question-and-answer portion.

“It’s a very big endeavor that USAC will take on to become more visible and available, because this is where one of our biggest constituencies is located,” Flores said.

Samantha Schaefer