Commit to quality, not quantity

By Scott Pearring

We Bruins work too hard. On top of school, we are involved in clubs, sports, part-time jobs and Greek life. Our four years at this mammoth university are characterized by a constant bombardment of worthwhile opportunities. A quick stroll down Bruin Walk verifies this.

Some students have the ability to successfully manage a wide variation and high commitment level in many activities. The tragedy for the rest of us is that amid all these opportunities, we don’t properly invest in the most rewarding activities ““ those that maximize our strengths.

“Devoting a little of yourself to everything means committing a great deal of yourself to nothing,” said author and business consultant Michael LeBoef.

A glance at my weekly schedule shows that I’ve “devoted” myself to four classes, three nights of tutoring, Campus Crusade for Christ, the Daily Bruin and three days and four weekends of Frisbee, then whatever leftover time to my personal relationships. While I get a lot done, I have given up the benefits I could have attained by better focusing on my strengths.

The beauty of the college years is the opportunity to spread yourself thin for a certain amount of time, to test the waters. This process is only helpful if you reflect on your commitments and refocus your responsibilities.

A few weeks ago, I made the difficult decision of dropping Frisbee, my treasurer position and one of my Christian commitments to realign my time to what’s really important ““ my relationships and my sanity.

The benefits have been more time for relaxed learning, visiting family, sleeping regularly and overall less stress. I’ve also greatly developed my strengths by delving deeper into the leadership roles of the groups I’m still in.

This healthier schedule has me wishing that I would have reflected on my priorities years ago. In light of that, I urge all readers to find out where their potential is maximized, and then hastily shed all other engagements.

Leadership guru John Maxwell said, “Learn to say “˜no’ to the good so you can say “˜yes’ to the best.” There are simply too many “good,” worthy, urgent causes out there for me to handle. If I am to keep my sanity and thrive in life, I need to discover where I fit best, and this definitely doesn’t involve being continually strung out over a half-dozen responsibilities.

I chose not to settle, and I beseech others to do the same. The longer students stay in testing mode, the longer they’re putting off the attainment of their true potential.

Nick Chapa, a fourth-year English student who is involved in the Undergraduate Business Society, offered advice for young students to find their best fit.

“I would advise all students to first find a home base, some large group with a mission they’re comfortable with, such as Samahang Pilipino, Campus Crusade for Christ or Association of Chinese Americans. Then, join something off-the-wall, something you’ve never thought you’d do. Finally, join something professionally aligned with your career interest,” he said.

This model promotes success if you can eventually narrow down your commitments to the few you want to focus more heavily on.

Bruce Barbee, the director of Academics in the Commons and a professor in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, offered advice to students looking to get involved.

“First, you need to find out what’s out there and know enough about it,” he said. “Then you need to ask yourself, “˜How many things can I take on?'”

“My advice is to pick a few things. More depth is better, especially for grad school applications,” he added.

When you are able to zero in on what really matters, previously enticing opportunities fade away. You’ll be happier in the long run because you’ll only be doing what you love.

UCLA students need to cut back on their activities. A lot. Devoting yourself to too much greatly hinders your potential by not letting you invest fully in your true strengths. Instead of waiting until your fourth year, learn from my mistakes and start cutting back now. You’ll never regret focusing on your strengths.

If you are far too overcommitted, e-mail Pearring at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Scott Pearring