Letter to the Editor

Senators need to lead bill passage

In her recent column on Oct. 15, “Community Supported Agriculture program offers affordable organic food, helps South Central farmers,” Natalie Hein focuses on the interaction between the environment and economy through the local CSA program. Shifting to sustainability can mean both a more responsible treatment of the environment and economic growth. Increased investment in environmental programs will open up a new business sector, yielding a proliferation of related jobs.

This is the core principle of a new senate bill, S.1733, which aims to cut carbon emissions 20 percent by 2020 and 83 percent by 2050, reducing America’s dependence on oil and creating jobs for Americans.

At UCLA and in campuses nationwide, students are taking action to abate global warming. It is imperative that our senators follow suit. Sen. Dianne Feinstein needs to step up and lead ““ with Sen. Barbara Boxer ““ the charge on passing S.1733 through the Senate.

Without federal mandate, businesses will tend toward lethargy and continue with their unacceptably unsustainable practices. As students, we are in the unique position of witnessing both the rise and wrath of climate change. Tell your senators to pass S.1733.

Lee Jasperse

First-year, Neuroscience