UCLA faculty to hold colloquium, ‘Defending the Public University’

A faculty-organized colloquium will be hosted today to discuss the budget shortfalls of the University of California system and its implications for UCLA.

“Defending the Public University” will be held in the Kerckhoff Grand Salon from 2 to 4 p.m. Discussion will be moderated by Kent Wong, director of the Center for Labor Research and Education. The two-hour conference will be split into two panels.

One panel, “Saving UCLA,” will feature a variety of speakers, including Executive Vice Chancellor Scott Waugh and the Chair of the Academic Senate, Robin Garrell.

The second panel will discuss “The Crisis at UCLA and Beyond,” with speeches from professors from UCLA and UC Berkeley, in addition to the president of the UC-American Federation of Teachers, Robert Samuels.

“The goal is to really get the general UCLA population more educated about what’s going on, not only from the perspective of student, but faculty and a vice chancellor,” said Susan Li, external vice president of the Undergraduate Students Association Council, emphasizing that the meeting was organized by faculty, not students.

Li will be unable to attend the conference, but Financial Supports Commissioner D’Juan Farmer will take her place.

<i>Compiled by Samantha Masunaga, Bruin senior staff.</i>