Don’t discount the dismount policy

By Scott Pearring

“Great. Another lame regulation,” I thought last week. “No biking or skating on all of Bruin Walk and Bruin Plaza; that’ll add 25 minutes to my daily commute.” Then last Wednesday happened.

Innocently skating back from Santa Monica, I found myself on a deceptively massive hill, blazing toward Wilshire Boulevard. My desperate attempt to foot brake threw me face first, my helpless body skidding mercilessly against the asphalt.

After an excessive amount of hydrogen peroxide and plenty of screaming, I am walking again. Needless to say, near-death accidents like this one affect your thinking. I would like to think my new perspective is more experienced, more balanced and more mature. With this new outlook, it’s abundantly clear why skating down Bruin Walk is now prohibited.

David Karwaski, planning and policy manager at UCLA Transportation, said the new rule is all about student safety, according to Daily Bruin archives.

“There’s such a high level of use on Bruin Walk that (the new Dismount Zone Policy) makes sense for conflicts and injuries,” Karwaski said. “Safety is the bottom line.”

I never used to think about the dangers of skating, but last Wednesday showed me just how out of control boarding can be. Reflecting on my skating habits, I realize that I do frequently bump into walking students around campus. And I’ve had dozens of super-close calls.

The remarkable thing is that each and every time after these incidents, I somehow justify my actions, usually blaming the walker for stopping suddenly. I know not all skaters are this inconsiderate, but I also know that many blameless students have been hit by careless riders.

Skaters instill fear into the minds of most walkers, who stride with caution, perpetually fearful that they will be the next victim. Just think of how you feel when you hear the dreaded shoe-skidding sound from a high-speed skater slashing down Bruin Walk.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to skate without endangering anyone, just that it’s very difficult to play it safe in the campus environment. Most skaters probably underestimate the risk of zooming at high speeds, just as I did, and place themselves and others in a risky position. Yet many find this threat not worth the reduced efficiency.

Miles Maassen, a fourth-year physiological science student who has been skating to class for years, is disappointed with the new rule.

“It greatly decreases the efficiency of my day. I used to be able to get to class in six minutes. Now it’s 20,” he said. “I understand the school trying to limit injury incurred by wheel-based transportation; however, I believe that the new regulatory measures are unfair for those who take caution while skating or biking to class.”

It is possible to ride safely and greatly reduce the risk of collision. But all skaters like me can attest to the excruciating consequences of unsafe boarding and the value of playing it safe.

Fourth-year mechanical engineering student Nick Demarais no longer skates after a gruesome accident last summer.

“I was riding down the hill, hit a puddle of water and smashed the back of my head on the pavement. I crashed at 9:45 a.m. and don’t remember anything until 11 p.m.,” he said. After suffering a subdural hematoma and narrowly escaping brain surgery, his outlook on skating drastically changed.

“It’s just a lot safer to walk. And if I ever rode again, it would be with a helmet,” he added.

I don’t expect those who haven’t experienced a distressing accident themselves to believe in this rule. But I do expect them to see where UCLA Transportation is coming from and respect its decision. I also don’t expect bikers to embrace the regulation, as biking is exponentially safer than standing on a moving board.

The events of last Wednesday convinced me that I need to change my habits and now aim to protect others from getting similarly hurt. So I find myself speaking to younger skaters, urging them to take extreme care every time they ride.

I guess this is all just part of growing up. I’m watching myself agree more and more with my parents and preaching more and more to younger kids. The sad thing is they hardly listen, exactly as I acted at that age. It seems all you can do is offer advice and wait for them to discover the truth on their own. Call me overly cautious, but I truly believe the dismount zone is for the best.

Since my accident, I’ve put down the board. But I’m not completely done riding: I picked up a sweet pair of Heelys this weekend and can now enjoy the efficiency of skating and the security of walking ““ all in my shoes.

If you’re willing to let Heelys replace your board, e-mail Pearring at [email protected]. Send general comments to  [email protected].

Scott Pearring