Storm leads to difficult practice for football

By Blair Angulo

Kimberly Lajcik
Oregon Duck redshirt freshman defensive back Kenjon Barner attempts to tackle UCLA senior wide receiver Terrence Austin during Saturday’s 24-10 loss. UCLA will face California this Saturday at the Rose Bowl. Cal and UCLA have split their last eight meetings.

Not that Mother Nature cares or anything.

Despite what promises to be a pleasant weekend forecast, the Bruins practiced under an afternoon-long drizzle Wednesday for the second straight day.

And though the weather is not expected to play a factor in Saturday’s game, the wet conditions did affect the way coach Rick Neuheisel managed the Bruins’ two-hour practice session.

Concerned by potential mud-inflicted damage to the team’s natural-grass field on the south side of Spaulding Field, Neuheisel was forced to make use of the team’s synthetic surface Wednesday. UCLA used every last inch of it.

The restriction to one field meant that both the offensive and defensive first-team units would have to run plays on the turf at the same time. That’s half a field for each instead of a full field for both.

“It’s hard when both teams are on the turf; it limits the plays,” sophomore offensive lineman Jeff Baca said.

Aside from setting spatial limitations, the wet conditions also forced players to increase their awareness. The combination of water and a misjudged movement, according to senior cornerback Alterraun Verner, might have a player picking himself off the surface.

“You can’t be sloppy technique-wise when you’re in the rain,” Verner said. “You have to make sure your footing is right or you’ll be slipping.”

Meanwhile, senior receiver Terrence Austin suggested that the rain, despite having its obvious downsides, might actually be a good thing for the Bruins (3-2, 0-2 Pac-10) as they take on the Golden Bears (3-2, 0-2) this weekend.

“We’re practicing in bad conditions, so when it comes down to clean conditions it’ll be easy for us,” Austin said. “I’m glad that it’s happening.”

The rain, while it lasted, did not dampen any spirits.

Neuheisel, wearing a rain jacket and soaked hat, joked with reporters about his envy of the head of the UCLA men’s basketball program.

“Ben Howland, on the other hand, is inside (Pauley Pavilion) right now getting ready for the season to start and he’s got short pants on,” he said.

Preparation

Self-admittedly, the Bruins have a few things to work on as they look to snap out of a two-game sputter.

The first, according to Verner, is fixing mistakes and using preparation to cover up what the opposition has been exploiting.

“That’s what other teams are going to look at so you want to key in on those areas,” he said.

Austin, the Bruins’ kick and punt returner, talked about how important winning the field position battle will be this weekend.

“That’s going to help us flip the field for our offense,” Austin said.

Baca, meanwhile, commented on the team’s physicality and effort.

“You’ve got to practice how you play,” Baca said. “You can’t just turn it on at game time.”

The team’s passing game still has the biggest question mark. Neuheisel said he wants to see more consistency from redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Prince.

“We have to be more accurate and put the ball where it belongs and let our guys make plays,” Neuheisel said.

QUICK HITS: Redshirt senior linebacker Reggie Carter (knee) did not practice. Neuheisel said he remained optimistic about his status for Saturday’s game. … Redshirt freshman running back Johnathan Franklin (left ankle) was not limited in practice. … Sophomore safety Tony Dye returned to the field after being ill Tuesday. … Neuheisel said he expects redshirt freshman cornerback Aaron Hester (leg) to be cleared to practice next week but was unsure about his status for the Oct. 24 game at Arizona.

Blair Angulo