Three UCLA students arrested

By Daniel Schonhaut

Two UCLA students were arrested Thursday on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with a stabbing that occurred at a fraternity party on the night of Sept. 21.

A third student was arrested on suspicion of being an accessory to the stabbing, university police said.

The Los Angeles district attorney will bring formal charges against the students on Monday.

According to police, a fight broke out during a party at Lambda Phi Epsilon on 621 Midvale Ave.

One individual pulled out a knife and stabbed two UCLA students ““ one in the abdomen and the other in the arm.

A third student was hit over the head with a bottle, said UCPD Capt. John Adams.

The student who was stabbed in the abdomen underwent surgery at a local hospital and is expected to recover, Adams said.

The suspects fled after the fight. Police arrived at the scene shortly after and gathered evidence that led them to initially arrest four men, none of whom are affiliated with UCLA, at around 1 p.m. on Sept. 22, according to a university statement.

One of those men was arrested outside the Canyon Point residence hall, and the other three were arrested around the same time at the Sunset Village parking structure, Adams said.

All four men have been charged on counts of attempted murder and mayhem.

Details about the fight are still under investigation, and police are unsure whether the three students who were arrested Thursday are affiliated with the four men who were arrested on Sept. 22.

Adams said anyone with information about the stabbing should contact UCPD at 310-825-9371.

The students who were arrested are not listed as members of Lambda Phi Epsilon, according to a university statement.

UCLA is investigating whether the fraternity is responsible for any violations that may be tied to the fight, according to the statement.

“UCLA takes a very strong stand against those groups that violate policies intended to keep the campus community safe,” said Robert Naples, UCLA associate vice chancellor and dean of students, in the statement.

Adams said witnesses have testified that alcohol was served at the party prior to the stabbing.

In the statement, Naples said the university is “prepared to take all appropriate actions regarding the arrested students.”

Daniel Schonhaut