Fundraiser to aid with relief

By Samantha Masunaga

The American Red Cross Club at UCLA had originally planned to use the profits from its California Pizza Kitchen fundraiser to benefit its own functions.

However, after the recent earthquakes in Indonesia and the subsequent tsunami in American Samoa, the club has decided to donate the profits to the American Red Cross Chapter Disaster Relief Fund, which will support relief efforts in Samoa, as well as in the California wildfire areas.

“Participating in this disaster relief is imperative, not only for the U.S., but for the American Red Cross Club as well,” said Cassandra Gonzalez, president of the club. “Our mission is to serve communities in need, whether here in the U.S. or in any foreign country.”

International relief efforts have already begun in light of Wednesday’s 7.6 quake and Thursday’s 6.6 tremor in the Sumatran city of Padang, as well as Tuesday’s 8.0 quake and resulting tsunami in Samoa.

According to news reports, more than 500 buildings, including hotels, schools, and hospitals, have been destroyed in Padang. On Thursday, the official death toll climbed to 777, although thousands more are assumed to be buried beneath the rubble.

News is just as grim in Samoa, as news agencies have reported that at least 140 people died as a result of the earthquake. The subsequent tsunami brought four large waves crashing almost a mile inland, washing away cars and structures.

According to the Associated Press, President Obama has declared a major disaster in American Samoa, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has already begun work in the area.

At the same time, the American Red Cross has commenced search and rescue support, setting up safe zones for disaster victims, and providing shelter and medical care, Gonzalez said.

Although the need for volunteers in Samoa is vital, Gonzalez said that students could also aid those affected by the tsunami.

The club will host its California Pizza Kitchen fundraiser-benefit on Oct. 12 from 10:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., although interested participants will need to bring a flier to the restaurant to ensure that 20 percent of their bill will be donated to the Disaster Relief Fund. Gonzalez said that the fliers will be distributed on campus prior to the event, as well as on the day of the fundraiser.

She added that the club is also promoting “texting donations” through the American Red Cross, in which $5 will be donated to the Disaster Relief Fund through affiliated phone carriers each time an individual texts the word, “GIVE” to 2HELP (2-4357).

“The U.S. has great resources that are valuable for such logistics and catastrophes,” Gonzalez said. “The American Red Cross’ and the UCLA’s club’s purpose is to help people in time of need, and we sincerely appreciate the efforts of volunteers and donors.”

Samantha Masunaga