Green living: good for the earth, good for your wallet

By Scott Pearring

Going green isn’t all about saving the environment, after all. And though I’ve ignored living greenly for years, I now have strong grounds to re-evaluate. With increasingly drastic government limits on carbon emissions and rising energy prices, green living is a wise goal. Not for the sake of the environment ““ but because it will soon be profitable.

In 1997, the Kyoto Protocol set emission limits for each country. This created a massive cap-and-trade system that allowed U.S. and foreign corporations to reach their emission standard by purchasing credits from companies who had clean energy surpluses.

This behemoth industry is exploding, with greenhouse-gas credits projected to reach $1 trillion by 2020 in the United States alone. This protocol shows the international community’s commitment to cleaner air and the United States’ desire to be a frontrunner in this movement.

The bad news is that further environmental restrictions by the government will end up costing consumers. Moody’s Investors Service predicts that future greenhouse gas limits, including a potential national cap on carbon dioxide gas, would ratchet up power prices 15 to 30 percent.

Just imagine the effect of the bill that entered the Senate’s environment committee on Wednesday that calls for a 20 percent cut on greenhouse gas emissions by 2020. This severe business regulation promises to greatly affect consumers. Add this to already increasing U.S. power prices (up more than 30 percent since 2003) and you have an unprecedently robust argument for individuals to use less energy.

Scott Bartchy, UCLA history senior lecturer, knew about the eventual limitations of energy usage, so he designed a house that uses absolutely no external energy source. With 10-inch-think concrete walls, double-paned glass windows and honeycomb blinds, it traps and releases just the right amount of natural heat. The solar panels on the roof and the innovative ecological design of the entire unit enable his home to pump more energy back into the city energy grid than it takes out.

“Most people are paying a lot to heat and cool their house. I’m not paying a dime,” Bartchy said. House designs like his will only become more valuable as rising energy prices further amplify the difference between his zero energy bill and his neighbors’ charges.

Living without a carbon footprint is attainable, as Bartchy’s house proves. Since energy prices will rise in the near future, it makes perfect sense for Americans to prepare today.

Unless a miracle cure quickly arises from the abundance of clean energy research, the United States’ addiction to fossil fuels will only become more dire. With energy continually increases in scarcity and demand, those who live with minimum impact are set to reap the greatest rewards. These people can’t lose, since even if a long-term clean energy solution is discovered, they still enjoy the satisfaction of helping the environment.

Aside from monetary concerns, living greenly is worthwhile because it’s nearly inevitable. The green revolution is already a forceful movement.

Eventually everyone will be forced to change their living standards, and those Americans who wait until prices affect their pocketbook will pay for their lack of preparation. They will all at once face overwhelming economic pressures to make lifestyle changes they’ve previously ignored. If you choose to live more greenly now and pick a few easy ways to cut energy use, you set yourself up for success.

Global warming and the related energy crises are complicated issues that will only become more relevant and more urgent. It’s up to you and me to cut our carbon footprint by lowering our energy necessities. But if this environmental argument doesn’t motivate you to turn off your air conditioner, the fact that energy prices are poised to skyrocket should provoke you.

Living greenly doesn’t need to be about saving the Arctic ““ it can instead be about wisely setting yourself up to save a few bucks.

If you’re trying to live green to save green, e-mail Pearring at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Scott Pearring