Bruin football heads to Stanford

Redshirt senior quarterback Kevin Craft prepares to hand off the ball in a 23-9 win against Kansas State on Sept. 19.

By Sara Salam

The UCLA Bruins are the only unbeaten football team in the Pac-10 as they enter the Stanford game week. But despite the team’s 3-0 start, its first since 2005, coach Rick Neuheisel refuses to sugarcoat the Bruins’ upcoming Pac-10-opener against the Cardinal in Palo Alto.

He said that UCLA has a tremendous task ahead not only because Stanford is scary to defend, but also because the game marks a shift of focus for UCLA as Pac-10 competition begins.

Stanford, No. 1 in the conference with a 3-1 record overall, has made an impression on the college football world during the past four weekends. Trailing for only two seconds in any game this season, the Cardinal boasts the top conference rank in both passing efficiency and rushing offense, running for 233.8 yards per game. While the Cardinal demonstrated a qualitative improvement in its performance on both sides of the ball since last season, Neuheisel also recognizes the increase in competitiveness demonstrated by Pac-10 teams in general.

“The cards are being reshuffled,” Neuheisel said prior to the Bruins’ second game versus Kansas State, regarding the rise and demise of multiple teams in the league. “Certainly last weekend did nothing to dispel that notion.

“It’s a very competitive conference, and you better line up each weekend, or you’re going to get one in the chops.”

In the league’s first intraconference matchups USC suffered a narrow defeat against Washington, 16-13, during week four, and Cal took a beating versus Oregon in Eugene this past Saturday, 42-3. Each of these four teams have shifted ranks in the Associated Press’s Top 25 since the season’s start.

Neuheisel said the graduated intensity of Pac-10 play bodes well for excitement and hype surrounding weekly matchups, as the Bruins prepare for their first conference contest, but the effort necessary to achieve results cannot be bypassed en route to earning a victory.

“(Because of) where this team has come from, we are well aware that great performances are a mandatory thing to get a victory in this league,” Neuheisel said. “You can’t happen into it, you got to play.”

UCLA has had to cope with and adjust to some internal shuffling of its own, most notably at the quarterback position. Neuheisel expects consistency at the position to promote progress and facilitate the Bruins’ path to success. The coach cites a 65 percent passing operation as a benchmark for offensive efficiency. Heading into practice this week, redshirt senior Kevin Craft will get a majority of the reps throughout the week with the first team. True freshman Richard Brehaut will also take a few snaps.

“I think if (Craft) can give us a good consistent performance, it’ll give us a chance to be successful. That’s what we need out of that position,” Neuheisel said.

Freshman cornerback Sheldon Price will begin the week filling the starting role opposite senior Alterraun Verner. Neuheisel said the competition at left corner will continue throughout the week.

Sara Salam