Students, faculty and staff gather in Bruin Plaza for UC walkout

Richard Cortez, 20, is a UCLA worker and member of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299 workers’ union. Cortez stands in the center of a ring of demonstrators during Thursday’s walkout in Bruin Plaza. He said through his megaphone, “Students and workers united for justice.”

By Carolyn McGough

The University of California-wide walkout began minutes ago in Bruin Plaza.

The well-known campus was flooded as students, faculty and workers made their way to the plaza to speak out against recent increases in student fees and class sizes, decreases in course offerings and the implementation of faculty furlough days.

Protesters held signs reading, “Education is a right,” “UC has billions” and “Overcrowded classes and overworked TAs.”

A series of speakers are speaking to the ralliers from the Bruin Plaza stage. Attendees shouted, “Whose university? Our university!”

University police Sgt. Russell McKinney said he estimates that there are 300 attendees.

Approximately 100 UCLA faculty members, including professors and assistant professors, signed support for the walkout.

Check www.twitter.com/dailybruin for our live blog and dailybruin.com/live for our live stream.

Carolyn McGough