Kevin Craft overcomes his 2008 season, leads an improved Bruin offense

By Sara Salam

In his first game following a 2008 campaign in which he threw a school-record 20 interceptions, senior quarterback Kevin Craft took his place behind center once again as the starter’s replacement.

With one year gone by, the outlook was a little different, but it was the same Craft.

“Nothing in him has changed,” sophomore offensive lineman Jeff Baca said. “He’s matured a little more and gotten a little smarter on his reads, but this is the Kevin Craft he was last year.”

With the help of a more experienced and competitive offensive unit, Craft was able to outwit the Kansas State defense, leading the Bruins to a 23-9 victory.

Last season, the then-redshirt junior quarterback found himself thrust into a starting role following the loss of Ben Olson and Patrick Cowan to collegiate career-ending injuries. He was provided little pass protection and limited mobility in the pocket by a young and challenged offensive line.

Craft started all 12 games in 2008, completing 232 of 417 passes for 2,341 yards on the season en route to a 4-8 finish. He passed for only seven touchdowns.

His teammates are the first to protest to the reputation Craft garnered and the criticisms he suffered as the Bruins’ 2008 starting quarterback, and relay the responsibilities burdened by Craft to the rest of the team.

“It was the UCLA Bruins that were 4-8, it wasn’t Kevin Craft,” Baca said.

Saturday night, Craft maneuvered with freely behind the line of scrimmage, completing 13 of 24 passing attempts for 186 yards. The line kept him on his feet the entire night, refusing to allow a sack. The Bruins didn’t punt the ball once during the first half.

“I’m not really getting touched back there, I can just sit and throw,” Craft said.

He had the longest pass completion of his career in the fourth quarter to senior wide receiver Terrence Austin for the Bruins’ second touchdown. At 51 yards, it was also the longest touchdown pass the UCLA offense has completed since 2007.

Coach Rick Neuheisel has grown increasingly confident over the past weeks in his players and their rate of improvement, first describing “glimpses” of potential during the Bruins’ first week to being “pleased” with their current record.

“I think the O-line is on the come,” Neuheisel said. He alluded to the Bruins’ opening drive ““ which resulted in a rushing touchdown ““ as “a thing of beauty.”

But the coach said there are still adjustments to be made.

Late in the game, the offense retreated to a more tactically conservative approach in an attempt to preserve the lead. Neuheisel said a more “gunslinger” strategy will find its place in the UCLA playbook at the appropriate time, something he said offensive coordinator Norm Chow will surely promote.

But for now, the coach is pleased by the early signs of promise he has seen in his offense.

“As a starting point to be able to protect the way we did and to be able to establish the line of scrimmage that allows our running backs to get going, that’s very encouraging as we go forward,” he said.

As for Craft, he believes his team’s improved ability to convert third-downs and overcome penalties provide convincing evidence of the Bruins’ progress from last season.

When asked after the game whether the thought of redemption had crossed his mind, Craft only chuckled.

Sara Salam