A&E Fall Preview

It’s a jam-packed season this quarter for the worlds of film, music, theater and art. In between midterms and essays, make some time to catch one or two or all of these upcoming events. But for those who believe in delayed gratification, study hard and never see the light of day, but keep in mind how much catching up you will have to do during winter break.

FILM

“A Serious Man”

Oct. 2

Warner Bros.

The Coen brothers venture back to the late ’60s to tell this tale of a Midwestern professor (Broadway’s Michael Stuhlbarg) watching his life fall apart.

“Capitalism: A Love Story”

Oct. 2

Overture Films

Michael Moore’s back with his latest controversial film. This topical documentary takes a look at our dwindling economy.

“Zombieland”
Oct. 2
Columbia Pictures
Jesse Eisenberg (Adventureland) teams up with Abigail Breslin and Woody Harrelson to fight zombies.

“Whip It”
Oct. 2
Fox Searchlight Pictures
Drew Barrymore has her directorial debut in this coming-of-age roller derby tale starring A-listers Ellen Page, Kristen Wiig and Barrymore.

“The Invention of Lying”
Oct. 2
Lin Pictures
British import Ricky Gervais goes for the laughs in this comedy about a world where people only tell the truth, until he discovers the advantages of lying.

“An Education”
Oct. 8
Sony Picture Classics
Author Nick Hornby penned the screenplay about a 1960s teenage girl learning life lessons from an older man in suburban London.

“Where the Wild Things Are”
Oct. 16
Warner Bros.
The famed children’s book gets an imaginative translation to the big screen with an adaptation written by literary hipster Dave Eggers and directed by Spike Jonze. 

“Amelia”
Oct. 23
AE Electra Productions
Hilary Swank flies high as Amelia Earhart, the legend who disappeared while flying over the Pacific Ocean in 1937.

“Saw VI”
Oct. 23
Lionsgate
Get your annual fix of all things gruesome in this morbid tale of … oh, you know the drill by now (pun intended).

“Antichrist”
Oct. 23
Zentropa Entertainment
Danish director Lars von Trier’s film shocked audiences at the Cannes Film Festival with its scenes of graphic violence in an untraditional drama about a grieving couple escaping to the woods to deal with the death of their son.

“This is It”
Oct. 28
Sony Pictures
Director Kenny Ortega (“High School Musical”) helms this look into Michael Jackson’s life with rehearsal footage and interviews with the King of Pop himself.

“Youth in Revolt”
Oct. 30
Dimension Films
Michael Cera takes on a new role as an aggressive, crime-committing teen trying to win over the girl of his trailer-park dreams.

“The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day”
Oct. 30
Sony Pictures
The Brothers MacManus are back to clean up Boston once again a decade after the first film, which has gathered quite the cult following.

“Precious”
Nov. 6
Lionsgate
This chilling look at the life of a Harlem teenager blew people away at the Sundance Film Festival, and there has been Oscar talk for actress Mo’Nique ever since.

“The Box”
Nov. 6
Warner Bros.
Cameron Diaz and James Marsden star as a couple presented with a box (thus the title) that gives them the opportunity to earn $1 million at the expense of a random person’s life.

“The Men Who Stare at Goats”
Nov. 6
Overture Films
Based on a nonfiction book of the same name, Ewan McGregor stars as a journalist who investigates claims of military attempts to use psychic powers as weapons, while George Clooney is a special agent who can telepathically kill goats.

“2012”
Nov. 13
Sony Pictures
The world ends, just like the Mayans predicted. Expect lots of destruction and John Cusack.

“The Boat that Rocked”
Nov. 13
Working Title Films
See the coming-of-age story of a pirate radio station based in the North Sea in the 1960s that riled the British government and encouraged the United Kingdom to rock and roll.

“The Twilight Saga: New Moon”
Nov. 20
Summit Entertainment
The sequel to super teen sensation “Twilight” is sure to have the entire Hot Topic customer base in a buzz. Bella and Edward return, along with werewolves this time.

“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
Nov. 25
20th Century Fox
Wes Anderson puts his spin on the Roald Dahl novel about a fox, voiced by George Clooney, protecting his family from angry farmers.

“Nine”
Nov. 25
The Weinstein Company
Not to be confused with the recently released fantasy film “9,” director of “Chicago,” Rob Marshall, presents an adaptation of the 1982 winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical.

“Brothers”
Dec. 4
Lionsgate
In an inevitable casting move, Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire play brothers in an emotional drama in which one must take care of the other’s wife and kids when he goes missing in Afghanistan.

“Broken Embraces”
Dec. 11
Sony Pictures Classics
Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar’s latest film stars Pénelope Cruz as Lena, whose death haunts her blind husband.

“The Princess and the Frog”
Dec. 11
Walt Disney Pictures
The latest from Disney goes back to the age of princesses ““ this time taking place in New Orleans ““ with big names like Oprah Winfrey providing voices.

“The Lovely Bones”
Dec. 11
Dreamworks Pictures
Peter Jackson of “Lord of the Rings” interprets “The Lovely Bones,” a bestselling novel by Alice Sebold. In the 1970s, a girl is murdered and watches as her family and friends ““ who include Mark Wahlberg and Susan Sarandon ““ cope with her death.

“Avatar”
Dec. 18
20th Century Fox
Highly anticipated 3D previews for James Cameron’s “Avatar” wowed audiences with its stunning special effects and big-budget scenery.

Compiled by Edward Truong and Saba Mohtasham, A&E senior staff.

MUSIC

Manic Street Preachers
Sept. 25
The Avalon
Come see the alternative band from Wales sing about despair in the most realistic way. They are “4 REAL” ““ words that former guitarist Richey Edwards carved into his arm in response to a question about the band’s authenticity.

Common, The Roots, De La Soul, Ludacris and Nas
Sept. 26
The Palladium
Missed De La Soul at the Annual JazzReggae Festival? You can catch the quirky group along with some of hip-hop’s most famous names at this event hosted in Hollywood.

Pearl Jam
Sept. 30
Gibson Amphitheater
If you’re in the mood for something classic, Pearl Jam will be in Los Angeles to deliver hard rock fused with punk and harmonious choruses.

Backstreet Boys ““ “This is Us”
Oct. 6
The seventh studio album from the boys that gave us “I Want it That Way” and “Larger Than Life” comes out next month as the guys attempt to challenge the odds of boy band success.

Tegan and Sara
Oct. 26
Orpheum Theater
If you’re in the mood for Canadian identical twins and some indie tunes, this concert will fulfill both rock and pop desires.

Pixies
Nov. 4-5
The Palladium
Sweet and sour in sound, this alternative rock group’s music has been described as both melodic and abrasive.

John Mayer ““ “Battle Studies”
Nov. 17
The new bluesy acoustic album comes out just before Thanksgiving.

Lil’ Wayne ““ “Rebirth”
Nov. 24
The Grammy Award-winning rapper releases his anticipated first rock album.

Compiled by Maryia Krivoruchko, A&E senior staff.

THEATER

“Eclipsed”
Kirk Douglas Theatre
Today
The Kirk Douglas Theatre opens its season with “Eclipsed,” a new play by Danai Gurira and Robert O’Hara, the same duo that made “In the Continuum.” Set in war-torn Liberia, the story follows the experiences of the “wives” of a commanding officer and how they must cope with the war.

“Medea”
Freud Playhouse
Wednesday
Euripides’ classic tale of the romance and betrayal between Medea and the Greek hero Jason is reinvented in a modern adaptation, directed by Lenka Udovicki and produced by UCLA Live, which includes a 12-woman chorus and a live onstage band.

“Parade”
Mark Taper Forum
Thursday
T.R. Knight (“Grey’s Anatomy”) stars in the newly reprised “Parade,” which won the 1999 Tony Award for Best Music, at the Mark Taper Forum. “Parade” explores the endurance of trust and love in trying times as it recounts the story of Leo Frank, who was convicted of murdering a 13-year-old girl, and the subsequent quest for justice by his wife.

“Gogol Project”
Bootleg Theater
Friday
A theatrical mix of puppetry, actors, masks and video projection is used to bring to life three of Nikolai Gogol’s best-known works, “Diary of a Madman,” “The Overcoat” and “The Nose,” at Bootleg Theater.

“Purgatorio”
Freud Playhouse
Oct. 28
Italian director Romeo Castellucci brings a hauntingly visual performance to the Freud Playhouse this fall with Societas Raffaello Sanzio’s “Purgatorio.” Inspired by Dante Alighieri’s “The Divine Comedy,” forgiveness is explored through one family’s actions.

“Once and For All We’re Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen”
Freud Playhouse
Nov. 3
“Once and For All We’re Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen,” the play that won audiences over in Europe for its 13 teenage guides and their frank talk about adolescence, makes its West Coast premiere at the Freud Playhouse.

“The Walworth Farce”
Freud Playhouse
Nov. 11
“The Walworth Farce” makes its West Coast premiere at the Freud Playhouse with a comedy about a family in London whose daily rituals include killing off five people.

“Mary Poppins”
Ahmanson Theatre
Nov. 13
The popular family musical, made famous in Disney’s 1964 movie version starring Julie Andrews, comes to the Ahmanson Theatre this fall for a limited engagement with new music and lyrics.

ARTS

Chen Qiulin
Sept. 29
UCLA Hammer Museum
Chinese artist Chen Qiulin uses the medium of video to explore the impact of rapid urbanization on her hometown of Sichuan, China.

Los Angeles Haunted Hayride
Oct. 2-31
King Gillette Ranch
Get into the spirit of Halloween by braving a Calabasas hayride, which is said to be haunted by asylum escapees and the victims of their murderous rampage.

Halloween Horror Nights
Oct. 2-31
Universal Studios Hollywood
See if you can survive the mazes at Universal Studios haunted by the villains of “Saw,” “Halloween” and “My Bloody Valentine.”

Culture Clash presents “Peace”
Oct. 3
Getty Villa
Catch the last performance of “Peace,” an adaptation of Aristophanes’ Greek satire, performed by comedy troupe Culture Clash.

Downtown L.A. Fashion Week
Oct. 13
Museum of Contemporary Art
Downtown L.A. Fashion week kicks off in Little Tokyo, featuring fashion shows and art exhibits celebrating global fashion and the trends of 2010.

Los Angeles Day of the Dead
Oct. 24
The Hollywood Forever Cemetery
The Hollywood Forever Cemetery hosts this traditional Mexican holiday honoring the dead with Mexican cuisine, theatrical performances and an altar-building competition.

“Reborn”
Nov. 8
Hammer Museum
Artist Desirée Holman explores the maternal instinct through video and colored pencil in her study of women who treat life-size doll babies as they would a real child.

“Drawing Life: The Dutch Visual Tradition”
Nov. 24
Getty Museum
Explore the art of the Netherlands during the 1600s through the 1800s in the exhibition of varying Dutch landscapes.

Rob Fischer
Nov. 28
Hammer Museum
Rob Fischer’s exhibit opens at the Hammer Museum. Fischer uses found objects to reconstruct images of the past as a commentary on the life cycle of objects and the passing of time.

Compiled by Shelley Brown, A&E senior staff.