UCLA has yet to decide if football will play opener Saturday

By Sara Salam

A decision regarding the status of the Bruins’ season opener scheduled for Saturday afternoon has yet to be made.

During a conference call Wednesday, UCLA personnel were informed of the current outlook and effects of the Station Fire on Pasadena by its city officials, Los Angeles County Fire Department and Air Quality Management District representatives and a meteorologist. The university has requested more information from these officials, which it expects to receive tomorrow. As of this time, it is unknown when UCLA will make a decision about whether the game will be played.

UCLA is unwilling to move the game to another site, leaving the option for postponement the most likely scenario if deemed necessary.

UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel said after practice Wednesday the team is approaching the last few days of practice before its season debut “with full force.”

“We’re getting ready as if the game is going to proceed,” Neuheisel said.

The Bruins have been practicing regularly at Spaulding Field despite the unfavorable heat and air quality blanketing the southland.

In other football news, newly acquired transfer out of Colorado wide receiver Josh Smith was on the practice field today getting himself acclimated with the new system. Last season Smith tallied 1,987 all-purpose yards and 50 kickoff returns for 1,276 yards with the Buffaloes, setting school records in both categories. Smith will be eligible to play beginning next season.

Another new face, defensive tackle Willie Mobley, will also join the Bruins. A fresh transfer out of Ohio State, Mobley also will enter the UCLA ranks next season for his first of three years of eligibility.

Sara Salam