Relay for Life to fund cancer research

By Derrick Oliver

Michelle Lapitan, a first-year neuroscience student, was 9 years old when she was diagnosed with anaplastic large T-cell lymphoma.

The disease is a rare form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, cancer of the lymph nodes.

It is because of her personal battle with cancer that she is taking part in the Relay for Life at UCLA, an annual event raising money for the American Cancer Society to fund cancer research and to educate the public about cancer. The event is taking place this weekend at Drake Stadium.

“I have been cancer-free for four years,” Lapitan said. “I joined the relay because I wanted to see people here at UCLA who have experienced what I’ve gone through.”

During the event, relay teams of approximately 10-20 people take turns walking or running around the track, making sure at least one member is on the track during the 24 hour period.

The event will open with the traditional Survivor’s Lap.

“All (cancer) survivors do the first lap as a way (for the public) to celebrate and recognize them,” said Nayson Fernandes, co-chair of UCLA’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer, responsible for putting on Relay for Life at UCLA.

While the track will be filled with runners, the surrounding track and field area will be filled with team members gathering around their campsites to rest and cheer on the active participants.

Approximately 145 teams are participating this year with approximately 1500 individuals officially signed up. However, taking into consideration potential drop-ins, as well as estimates from years past, the event can expect 3000 to 4000 participants Fernandes said.

There will also be numerous groups present to provide information or services concerning the various aspects of cancer.

For example, Pantene Beautiful Lengths will give free haircuts to provide wigs for those suffering from the effects of cancer treatments. Hip-hop performances from Samahang Modern, a soccer tournament and a watermelon-eating contest are just a few of the various forms of entertainment at the event.

Later that night, the Luminaria Ceremony will take place. Before this ceremony, participants are able to purchase bags on which the names of loved ones who have battled cancer are placed.

“All the lights are turned off and the Luminaria bags, filled with glow sticks, are placed throughout the stadium so that, from a bird’s eye view, the word “˜hope’ is spelled out,” said Fernandes.

“This is the pinnacle moment that commemorates those that have battled cancer.”

The relay will officially end on Sunday at noon.

Those interested in donating can make a donation toward a certain individual or team online through the American Cancer Society Relay for Life Web site.

Having experienced the loss of his father to throat cancer when he was just 3 years old, Eric Sumner, a first-year biology student, said he is aware of the tremendous work that the American Cancer Society provides.

“The American Cancer Society is invaluable. I’m not exactly sure how they helped my family because I was so young, but I know they often help families pay hospital bills as well as fund cancer research,” Sumner said.

As the final hour before the event approaches, excitement has been growing among the participants as they anticipate all the educational, fun-filled and moving events that will soon take place.

Sumner is especially looking forward to the event this year because this particular weekend holds a special place in his heart.

“I’m looking forward to being there because the (relay) falls on my dad’s birthday. Being out there to walk, fight and to celebrate on his birthday will be something special,” Sumner said.

Derrick Oliver