The forecast for computing is looking cloudy

By Millie Tran

I’ve always wanted to be a meteorologist.

The forecast? Cloudy. Well, the technological forecast, anyway. The next big Internet innovation is cloud computing.

In this case, the “cloud” represents the intricacies of all of the interconnected computers on the Internet. Cloud computing is a way to store your data on the Internet and make it accessible anywhere, through any computer.

The simplest example of cloud computing is e-mail, which I believe I can safely assume we’re all familiar with. All of your data is stored online on servers, or the “cloud,” rather than your hard drive. Other Web-based services such as YouTube and Flickr use cloud computing.

There are numerous benefits to cloud computing. Due to the increasing bandwidth available online, cloud computing allows more complex programs and software to be accessed online, similar to how Google Docs operates. Also, because all data is stored in the “cloud,” you can not only use software, but also access your documents and photos that were on your desktop online. This higher degree of availability of software allows cross-platform use across Macs, Windows and Linux. It also increases the mobility of information, since you can access your software and data through any Web browser, essentially eliminating the need for ownership of multiple programs or a personal computer.

Cloud computing is important on a large scale because the Internet has created a global platform. However, only 16.5 percent of the global population has a computer, and just 23.8 percent have Internet access. Developing countries can take advantage of this technology because it removes the reliance on owning a personal computer. The process of renting applications with borrowed or cheaper computers makes computing easy and affordable. Similar to the cost benefits of renting a car, cloud computing makes computing power a pay-as-you-go enterprise and makes it available to the masses.

One particular application that stands out is Nivio, a company based in Geneva that was founded by 25-year-old Sachin Duggal. It is an online desktop program that uses cloud computing technology, allowing access to the Windows XP interface and all of your data through any computer connected to the Internet.

I believe in cloud computing and Nivio because the target audience is not people living in developed nations, but rather the developing nations. This will make computing more affordable in the future.

On a continent such as Africa, which only accounts for 3.4 percent of the online global population, a technology like Nivio could be a step toward increasing education levels and infrastructure by connecting it to the rest of the world ““ something that is desperately needed.

The World Economic Forum has recently awarded Nivio and Duggal the Technology Pioneer Award for 2009, an honor given to visionary companies that will have a world-changing impact on society and businesses. Nivio is in good company with past recipients of the prize: Google in 2002 and the Mozilla Corporation in 2007.

Benefits aside, there are obvious risks and stigmas involved with storing sensitive data through a third party. Especially in America, where there is a strong emphasis on privacy, ownership and personalization, cloud computing services will have to emphasize the benefits to overcome initial reluctance.

In the long run ““ when we trust the cloud ““ the personal computer will become less relevant and cheaper, which is beneficial to everyone.

On its Web site, Nivio states, “It is only a matter of time before the PC is just a browser (as) browsers are … incorporated into more consumer devices every day from TVs to game consoles.”

However, cloud computing is still in its early stages. For now, it seems that a mix of cloud and non-cloud or hard-drive computing will be the best route. We’ll see how my weather report fares.

E-mail Tran at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Millie Tran