Debate garners mixed feelings from students

By Rotem Ben-Shachar

Wearing Sarah Palin t-shirts featuring the slogan “yes we can,” and holding McCain/Palin 2008 signs, it was easy to spot the Bruin Republicans at the presidential debate viewing party in De Neve Auditorium.

Roughly 50 members of Bruin Republicans sat together in the middle of the auditorium, clapping and cheering for McCain, glancing at each other when Obama said something they disagreed with, or double-checking if facts the candidates said were correct among one another.

“Sitting together, I felt a great sense of camaraderie,” said Andrew Kreitz, Bruin Republicans chairman.

“But it was nice having people with differing views there as well. Hearing different sections cheer back and forth made the debate more interesting.”

Michael Rafail, a member of Bruin Republicans who describes himself as a lifelong Republican with a Libertarian ideology, said that though he is voting for Libertarian candidate Bob Barr, sitting with fellow conservatives made him consider supporting McCain.

“I don’t think government should be involved in most of what it is involved in and that is why I am not voting for McCain, but I did feel a large sense of camaraderie that made me more inclined to support McCain,” he said.

The structure of the debate differed from previous debates in that it was in a town hall style.

Questions came from audience members and people who had posted questions on the internet.

“I thought the forum was very conducive to McCain. He seemed much more relaxed and at ease than in the previous debate,” said Caryn Moore, a fourth-year communication studies student and a member of Bruin Republicans.

The candidates answered questions about the current economic crisis, energy, health care and foreign policy.

“I thought Obama sounded better when discussing health care, because it is easier to articulate a specific plan than to explain why a plan will not work.

“But when discussing foreign policy, McCain hit the ball out of the court,” Moore said.

Paul Vollmer, secretary of Bruin Republicans, thought McCain was stronger when discussing foreign policy and clarifying his tax policies, but Obama did a better job discussing his health care and energy plans.

Vollmer thought both candidates performed well, but McCain communicated with the crowd better than Obama.

Rafail said that people who are still undecided will base their decision on the candidate’s personality and leadership abilities.

He said he thought McCain was wittier and connected with audience members.

Obama’s last remarks focused on the changes he hopes to bring to government.

“We need fundamental change. That’s what’s at stake in this election. That’s the reason I decided to run for president, and I’m hopeful that all of you are prepared to continue this extraordinary journey that we call America,” Obama said.

A moment that stood out for Vollmer was when a former naval officer asked a question and McCain took a moment to shake his hand and thank him for his service.

“McCain was more witty. Obama did not seem as charismatic as usual,” Rafail said.

For Jennifer Propper, a fourth-year history student and a member of Bruin Republicans, McCain’s conclusion summed up his campaign best:

“I’m asking the American people to give me another opportunity and I’ll rest on my record, but I’ll also tell you, when times are tough, we need a steady hand at the tiller and the great honor of my life was to always put my country first.”

Propper said that she supports McCain because he believes in the strength of the American people while Obama believes in the strength of the government, but not the people.

“McCain appeals to people’s strengths and what’s best in America and Obama abuses people’s weaknesses and makes false promises,” she said.

Rotem Ben-Shachar