Clinton will not speak at commencement

By Theresa Avila

Former President Bill Clinton will not speak at the College of Letters and Science commencement ceremony on Friday as previously scheduled, because of the ongoing dispute between the University of California and a labor union.

Instead, Chancellor Gene Block will speak at the commencement ceremony to graduating seniors and their guests in Pauley Pavilion at 5 p.m.

The change in speakers comes as a result of a request made by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which asked Clinton to not speak at UCLA while the union is negotiating for a new contract with the UC.

The union represents approximately 20,000 UC service workers and patient care technical employees, 5,400 of which work at UCLA, and also asked speakers scheduled for commencement ceremonies on other UC campuses to cancel .

Because an agreement could not be reached by Friday, Clinton and UCLA agreed that it was appropriate to have a different speaker, according to a press release.

Judith L. Smith, dean and vice provost of undergraduate education at the College of Letters and Science said in the statement that she lamented that the ceremony was affected by contract negotiations.

“It’s unfortunate that union activities are affecting a UCLA event intended to celebrate student achievement,” Smith said in the statement.

She added that she still thought the ceremony would be a joyful one.

Tristan Reed, the student chosen to speak at the commencement ceremony and a former Daily Bruin columnist, expressed doubts as to whether Clinton’s decision to not speak was effective.

“Crossing the picket line is one thing, if that’s an ongoing strike ““ that would be fine. But because there’s no ongoing strike, it didn’t actually accomplish anything,” Reed said.

The unexpected change in speakers was a surprise for seniors, many of whom were looking forward to hearing the former president speak.

“I was really looking forward to the speech. I’ve had friends who’ve gone to Clinton’s speeches, and they’ve always been really impressed,” said Mark Turrell, a fourth-year economics student. He said that the speech was what he had been looking forward to the most about the commencement ceremony.

While some seniors were disappointed with the outcome, others tried to make the most out of the situation.

Ceia Font, a fourth-year philosophy student, said she was initially only planning on attending because of the former president’s scheduled appearance. Though Block is now scheduled to speak, she said she has decided to make light of the situation by attending and celebrating with her friends.

As to whether or not Clinton chose appropriately in deciding not to speak, Font said she had faith in his decision.

“If he’s choosing not to come, he’s probably making the right decision. Regardless of my feelings of despair (because) he won’t be at my graduation,” Font said.

Theresa Avila