Campus museums collage art, dialogue

By Anthony Asencio

Since their inceptions, the Fowler and Hammer Museums have offered students the chance to see world-renowned art exhibitions, in addition to a selection of supplemental educational programs.

Established in 1963 and 1990, respectively, the Fowler and Hammer Museums provide cultural experiences that add to students’ extracurricular options at UCLA.

Zach Best, a fourth-year political science student, said his visits to the Hammer Museum have enhanced his college experience.

“(Hammer) provides a good break from studying and a nice cultural experience that is local to Westwood,” Best said.

The Hammer Museum features contemporary artwork and a series of programs designed to give students and members of the community a forum to learn and discuss various aspects of art and culture.

For example, the Hammer Forum an ongoing series of lectures, conversations, performances and panel discussions, addresses current social and political issues.

Kara Walker’s “My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love” is currently on display at the Hammer Museum. The exhibition tells the tale of African American history through a series of paper cutouts, paintings and projections.

The Fowler Museum is another one of UCLA’s most respected museums, with exhibitions that focus on art from Africa, Asia and the Pacific, and the Americas, past and present.

Public programs such as Fowler Outspoken are designed to complement the museum’s “dynamic” exhibition program.

Similar to those offered at the Hammer, Fowler’s programs cover a wide range of topics, which include discussions with featured speakers, panel conversations and lectures.

Melissa Knox, a UCLA alumna, said she likes the programs still available to her at Fowler.

“It’s nice that even after graduating I can still take advantage of the speakers and lectures at the Fowler Museum,” Knox said.

Currently, Fowler is running a number of exhibitions showcasing African art and photography, with a special focus on AIDS in that continent.

“Make Art/Stop AIDS” is an international traveling exhibition that explores how artists around the world have responded to the disease and how art can inspire activism.

“Please Listen, People” is a colorful exhibition of artwork from the Indian region of Bengal. Among the works displayed are narrative scrolls and paintings telling stories of health-related struggles in the country.

Skye Breiling, a Fowler visitor from UC Santa Cruz, said he was amazed at the opportunities afforded by the museums.

“I think it’s important for students to take advantage of these exhibitions and programs because it makes their education more well-rounded and meaningful,” Breiling said.

For more information on exhibitions and forums visit www.fowler.ucla.edu and www.hammer.ucla.edu.

Anthony Asencio