Bruin Democrats president appointed USAC elections board chair

By Machiko Yasuda

Much was said of Kyle Kleckner’s integrity at the Undergraduate Student Association Council’s meeting on Tuesday night.

The fourth-year political science student and president of Bruin Democrats was one of only two applicants who submitted materials to USAC President Gabe Rose for the position of elections board chair. Council spent roughly an hour and a half questioning Kleckner, Rose’s choice as a qualified contender, whose candidacy was scrutinized by some because of his active involvement in several politically focused groups on campus. Kleckner has never actively participated in either of the dominant campus political slates.

Following a short recess so that the appointment review committee could interview the applicant privately, which was part of the appropriate procedure meticulously followed in examining Kleckner, he was appointed by the council.

Representatives from The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) returned after delivering their proposal to the council last week to make amendments to their ballot referendum, upon which the council agreed after some discussion and minor semantic amendments.

Machiko Yasuda