Win solidified in final moments

By Sara Salam

The UCLA women’s water polo team met its biggest challenge of the season this past weekend as it eluded the willful efforts of the Stanford Cardinal to claim the UC Irvine Invitational title.

In the final, UCLA (17-0) squeaked past Stanford (9-2) in a high-intensity match Sunday evening with an overtime score of 8-7, barely maintaining their undefeated record and remaining atop the MPSF with the No. 1 ranking.

Following the game, coach Adam Krikorian stated just how big of a challenge the Cardinal presented to the Bruins.

“We were lucky to escape with that win,” Krikorian said. “They had some really great opportunities in overtime and sudden death.”

The Bruins never trailed in regulation, and at the end of the fourth quarter, the score was tied 6-6. It was during the two three-minute overtime sessions and one three-minute sudden-victory period, however, that UCLA and Stanford traded leads.

Stanford took its first lead of the game in the second overtime period with 2:46 to go on a shot by the Cardinal’s Koree Blyleven. But two minutes later, Bruin senior Jillian Kraus tied the game at seven on a power play.

In the sudden-victory period, the deadlock was broken when senior Gabrielle Domanic scored the final goal of the tournament with seven seconds remaining, keeping the Bruins’ record perfect.

“It was a battle,” Krikorian said. “They’re very quick and physical and gave us a lot of problems.”

UCLA is scheduled to face Stanford again on March 8 at Sunset Canyon Recreation Center.

The Bruins were able to overcome the Cardinal’s physicality and come away with a win. However, there were aspects of their game that can be improved, Krikorian said.

“I saw some holes and deficiencies that I think we can get better at,” the coach said. “We struggled a little bit offensively in simple fundamental things like passing and shooting.”

While noting that the offense could use some work, Krikorian was quick to applaud his team’s defensive efforts, especially the play of goalkeeper Brittany Fullen.

“She was phenomenal. She saved us on a few occasions, and just did an amazing job for us back in the goal,” he said.

Fullen made a career-high 15 saves in the championship match, five of which came during overtime.

Domanic was also recognized as a stand-out performer over the course of the weekend, especially in light of her tournament-winning goal.

“She had a huge shot,” Krikorian said. “She played great at both ends of the pool all weekend.”

Earlier Sunday, the team dismissed California in a semifinal match by a final score of 9-4 to earn a spot in the championship match against Stanford.

Seniors Courtney Mathewson and Brittany Rowe and junior Anne Belden each scored two goals in the final. Domanic, Kraus and junior Tanya Gandy each contributed one goal.

Stanford beat USC in an overtime thriller in the second semifinal match to advance to the championship contest, perhaps foreshadowing of what was to come in the final.

On Saturday, the Bruin women took down Cal State Northridge in a one-sided 12-4 contest, followed by win over Loyola Marymount, 11-6.

Sara Salam