Judicial board appointments made

By Lucy Benz-Rogers

Aug. 8, 2007 9:09 a.m.

Presidential appointments continued today, and certain agenda items were put on hold until some missing councilmembers returned (it is summer, after all).
The judicial board appointments were nearly tabled and left for another week until the candidates, who had been previously interviewed, could come in to be interviewed by the entire council.
Because of the power of the judicial board and the importance of impartiality and objectivity in its appointees, Administrative Representative Rick Tuttle warned council to consider the possible ramifications if there is no official record of council having asked probing, clarifying questions ensuring the appointee’s integrity.
Internal Vice President Dianne Tanjuaquio, who heads the Appointments Review Committee ““ which does preliminary evaluation of candidates before council votes on the positions ““ said she felt the interview process had been thorough and the recommended candidates had proven their integrity.
General Representative Sanobar Sajan said she was not comfortable approving the candidates before having them come before council, but ultimately the candidates were approved.
The council then began reviewing its four action agenda items for the year, which are longer term projects and goals that are established each year for the entire group.
Cultural Affairs Comissioner Bernice Shaw proposed continuing work on campus safety, which was begun last year. General Representative Michelle Lyon’s idea consisted of familiarizing students who might otherwise feel isolated on campus with the surrounding L.A. area and its culture with events such as concerts by local bands.
General Representative Christina Colosimo’s proposed item received the most discussion. Colosimo’s idea consists of increasing student power on administrative councils and committees by ensuring that as many as possible contain an active, voting student member. This has been attempted before, but Colosimo said it failed because the project had begun too late into the school year.
It was suggested that Colosimo discuss her item with Chancellor Gene Block and see if he would be interested, as the incoming chancellor, to take up the project and lend his support.

Lucy Benz-Rogers