Sweep of Stanford extends streak

By Blair Angulo

Following a six-game losing streak that spanned four different opponents, the Bruins (13-14, 3-0 Pac-10) extended their win streak to five games, after winning 10-4 and sweeping a three-game series against Stanford (13-12, 0-3 Pac-10) at the Sunken Diamond on Sunday afternoon. While extending their streak, UCLA also managed to snap a 10-year visiting team drought by sweeping the Cardinal at Palo Alto.

UCLA got off to a great start Friday, with staff ace Tyson Brummett throwing his third complete game of the season to help the Bruins start off the weekend right.

From there, UCLA kept rolling straight through the weekend.

The UCLA batters, which tallied 24 runs in the first two games of the series, continued their opportunistic production by scoring their first nine runs in the second, third and fourth innings and their last run in the ninth.

A day after belting two home runs and driving in six runs, first baseman Cody Decker smashed a three-run shot over the left-field scoreboard to add to his torrid weekend at the plate.

“(The losing streak) was a major, major turning point because we were not playing as we should,” Decker said. “But we came together as a team, finally clicked, and we are now playing for each other.”

Decker’s third home run of the series came after sophomore catcher Ryan Babineau hit his first home run of the season, which also scored center fielder Brady Dolan. He finished the series with 10 RBIs.

“Well, his pitch selection has been critical. He’s been patient and disciplined offensively, and that could be a great tool in this conference,” coach John Savage said.

Freshman left-hander Gavin Brooks made his eighth start of the season and pitched a solid eight innings that included season-highs in innings, strikeouts and pitches.

The southpaw from Vista gave up three runs and seven hits while striking out eight on 122 pitches en route to picking up his third victory of the season.

“It’s a big help to pitch with a lead because I can be more comfortable on the mound,” Brooks said. “It is great to have the offense behind you and have runs to fall back on.”

The ball game began on a promising note for the Cardinal after Brooks gave up a two-run shot to cleanup hitter Joey August in the first inning. The lead was short-lived, as the Bruins responded with two runs in the top half of the second inning when Dolan singled up the middle to drive in Will Penniall and Gabe Cohen.

In the third inning, shortstop Brandon Crawford struck out with two outs, but reached base on a wild pitch. That mistake allowed the scorching Decker to come up to bat, who doubled off the left field wall, scoring Crawford, the go-ahead run, from first base. Cohen extended his hitting streak to nine games with a double that scored Decker to give the Bruins a 4-2 lead.

Second baseman Alden Carrithers also extended his hitting streak to nine games.

After collecting a season-high 24 hits in the previous game, the Bruins offense finished with the game with 10 hits.

The Bruins will look to stay hot against the Washington Huskies in the first game of a three-game series on Thursday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

Blair Angulo